One of the MAJOR benefits that people experience what taking to everyday juicing is the ability to eliminate cravings, establish portion control, and therefore start to lose weight and help get things like diabetes under control. Remember though, 80% to even 90% of your juicing should be veggies, and NOT fruits. Fruits are high in sugar, and you can read more here at this link: Fruits vs. Veggies
Read this article below from Dr. Fuhrman:
Spotlight on Reversing and Preventing Disease
We know so much about nutrition and its powerful effects to create disease or protect against disease. However, the question that seems unanswered to the majority of our population is what constitutes a healthy diet that is actually disease protecting versus one that is disease promoting? What degree of nutritional excellence is necessary to make a diet therapeutically disease reversing? How do we measure the quality of our diet or the degree of nutritional excellence we are obtaining?
Eat For Health answers these questions with logic and science. It is not just a weight loss program. It gives individuals the ability to measure and intuitively judge the nutritional quality of their diet in order to discern whether their diet is optimal for delivering the therapeutic effects for disease reversal and prevention. How do we design the right diet for those with multiple risk factors or a poor family history? What if you are faced with a serious health challenge, how should your diet be structured for maximum therapeutic effects? Eat For Health allows a person to assess their own health needs and determine what level of dietary excellence they uniquely require to begin healing and retraining their taste to prefer healthier options.
The quality of a diet can be judged base on three simple criteria.
- Levels of micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals) per calorie.
- Amounts of macronutrients (fat, carbohydrate, protein) to meet individual needs, without excessive calories that may lead to weight gain or health compromise.
- Avoidance of potentially toxic substances (such as trans fats) and limited amounts of other potentially harmful substances (such as sodium).
A person who follows Eat For Health is called a nutritarian, and understands that food has powerful disease–protecting and therapeutic effects and seeks to consume a broad array of micronutrients via their food choices. It is not sufficient to merely avoid fats. It is not sufficient for the diet to have a low glycemic index. It is not sufficient for the diet to be low in animal products. It is not sufficient for the diet to be mostly raw food. A truly healthy diet must be micronutrient rich and the micronutrient richness must be adjusted to meet individual needs. The foods with the highest micronutrient per calorie scores are green vegetables, colorful vegetables, and fresh fruits. For optimal health and to combat disease, it is necessary to consume enough of these foods.
Few people could expect to have optimal health without attention to the consumption of high micronutrient foods. For example, a vegan diet centered on high starch vegetables or grains such as rice, potato and wheat, may not contain sufficient micronutrient richness for disease–reversal or to maximize longevity and in some individuals the lack of attention to micronutrient density may be disease–causing.
What makes Eat For Health unique
- It’s more than just weight loss. Menu plans, recipes, and dietary suggestions are based on micronutrient per calorie density, offering the most effective approach for both weight loss and disease prevention and reversal.
- It’s a healthy and risk free way of eliminating food cravings and overeating. The physiological and emotional components that lead to food cravings and overeating are clearly explained along with the steps to resolve these issues. Low nutrient eating (and toxic eating) leads to increased cellular toxicity with undesirable levels of free radicals and advanced glycation end products (AGE’s). This toxicity causes addictive withdrawal symptoms (toxic hunger) which results in more frequent eating and overeating. Understanding these concepts and incorporating a sufficient amount of nutrient rich foods is critical to overcoming this addictive cycle!
- It works for everyone. Every person has unique nutritional needs, but assuring nutritional excellence is essential for everyone whether old, young, fit, overweight, healthy or ill, to achieve their overall health and weight goals.
- It offers a sound nutrition prescription for disease reversal and prevention. This is truly the gold standard of nutritional medicine. These dietary recommendations can be utilized to therapeutically address disease reversal and to protect individuals with high health–risk factors. To accomplish this, the micronutrient quality (H=N/C) or nutrient density of an individual’s diet must be increased accordingly.
Thousands who have recovered from their medical problems have been calling Dr. Fuhrman‘s EAT FOR HEALTH program a medical miracle. They are not just talking about the people who successfully lost weight after failing for years on one diet after another, but about the diseases, such as heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, allergies, asthma, autoimmune illnesses (including lupus) and headaches which they have witnessed simply melt away.
Diabetes is a Rapidly Growing Threat to Human Health
Diabetes has been cited as the most challenging health problem in the 21st century. Over 25 million people in the United States have diabetes. Excess weight promotes insulin resistance and is the chief risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Currently 68.8% of adults are overweight or obese. The number of people with this disease has been increasing steadily, largely due to the increasing numbers of overweight people. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the prevalence of type 2 diabetes has more than tripled in the past 30 years, and if current trends continue unabated, one-fifth to one-third of all Americans will have diabetes by the year 2050.
Diabetes Severely Damages One’s Health and Shortens Life Expectancy
Diabetes is a serious disease, and both type 1 and type 2 accelerate the aging of our bodies. Having type 1 or 2 diabetes greatly speeds up the development of atherosclerosis, or cardiovascular disease; in fact, diabetes doubles the risk of heart attack and stroke.
More than 80 percent of adults with Type 2 diabetes die of heart attacks and stroke, and these deaths occur at a younger age compared to people without diabetes. Diabetes also ages the body more rapidly, causing harm to the kidney, nervous system and other body systems. Diabetes is the leading cause of kidney failure and blindness in older adults. Over sixty thousand amputations each year are performed due to complications of diabetes. Diabetes also increases cancer risk, especially colorectal cancer.
Type 2 Diabetes is a Preventable, Reversible Lifestyle Disease
The heavier you are, the greater the risk you will develop type 2 diabetes. Whereas type 1 diabetes is a disease of insulin deficiency, type 2 diabetes typically develops because the body is insulin resistant and requires more insulin than normal. Our body’s cells are fueled by glucose, and insulin acts as a key that allows glucose from the blood to enter our cells. If the pancreas does not produce insulin (as in type 1 diabetes), or the body’s cells no longer respond to insulin (as in type 2 diabetes), glucose remains in the blood instead of being used by the cells, resulting in abnormally high blood glucose, which is harmful to the body.
Premature death and the devastating complications of this disease simply do not have to happen. Those with diabetes are told to watch their diet, exercise and use drugs to better control the glucose levels in their bloodstream. My message is that the nutritional advice received from the American Diabetes Association (ADA), and typical dieticians and physicians is inadequate and permits countless of unnecessary premature deaths and much needless suffering. I